El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles established
On September 4, 1781, a group of 44 settlers founded El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles (“The Town of the Queen of Angels”). The pueblo flourished and, by the late 1840s, Los Angeles was the largest town in California. The center of the city lay a little to the north of the present Downtown, in the area we now call El Pueblo. El Pueblo de Los Angeles Historic Monument is located at 125 Paseo De La Plaza, Los Angeles, CA 90012, which is 1.6 miles away from Azusa Street. It is thought that present-day Azusa Street was a part of the outskirts of El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles. Over time, this name became shortened to El Pueblo de Los Angeles, and then to Los Angeles.