Olvera Street forms
After the Mexican-American War, the Plaza remained the center of El Pueblo. A small alley branching off of the Plaza—Wine Street—had its name changed by City Council ordinance in 1877 to Olvera Street to honor Augustín Olvera, the first Superior Court Judge of Los Angeles County, who owned an adobe house nearby. Over time, Olvera Street became a marketplace, with cafes, street vendors, and shops, and still exists about one mile from Azusa Street. The image on the left shows is from 1890, looking north across the L.A. Plaza to the beginning of Olvera Street. The Olvera Adobe can be seen to the right on the northeast corner of Olvera and Marchessault streets.