The Arcade Station
In 1887, the still-standing Wolfskill Adobe would be razed to make way for the old Southern Pacific Railroad’s Arcade Station, which was located at Fifth and Alameda and a few blocks from Azusa Street. This, too, would be demolished in 1914 and replaced with a larger and more modern railroad passenger depot – the Central Station. This station influenced business developement and population growth around the nearby Azusa Street and downtown Los Angeles.
The Arcade Station was the second station built by Southern Pacific in Los Angeles (and first one built primarily for passenger service). Built in 1889 and used until 1914 when it was replaced by larger SP Central Station. It was demolished shortly thereafter.
This image, taken in 1891, shows Southern Pacific steam engine no. 1364 heading the train at the Arcade Station at Alameda between 4th and 5th St., about one mile from Azusa Street.