The Grand Opera House
The first auditorium built in Los Angeles was the Grand Opera House, located on Main Street by First Street, just a few blocks from Azusa Street. It was built by Orzo W. Childs, had 1800 seats, and dedicated on May 24, 1884. It was first called Child’s Opera House, named after Mr. Childs. Mr. Childs was a horticulturist and one of the civil leaders who provided land to University of Southern California, which created an endowment to fund the establishment of their campus.