Los Angeles’s Population in 1870
In 1870, the population of Los Angeles was 5,730. The panoramic view of ‘the Plaza’ (La Placita) and the ‘Old Plaza Church’ (Mission Nuestra Senora Reina de Los Angeles). The square main brick reservoir in the middle (partial view) was the water reservoir builit by William Dryden and his LA Water Works Co. to collect water from the ‘mother ditch’ (Zanja Madre). The image was taken in 1869.